Shipping & Receiving Clerk - #1656714
Under moderate supervision, the Shipping and Receiving Clerk will support the Department of Physics and Astronomy to receive all incoming campus and US mail; inspect and receive all incoming packages, set mail out for pickup by Purdue Mail Service; crate and wrap all outgoing packages for shipment; keep proper digital trackable records on all incoming and outgoing packages and materials; arrange for return of variety of large and small equipment and materials (specimens); follow policies for export control and inspection; keep track of the maintenance of the department truck; and report to business office for property accounting audits and inventory checks. In addition, the shipping and receiving clerk serves as a liaison between the department’s faculty and staff, and external vendor to ensure compliance and understanding of the conditions of the purchases and help troubleshoot challenges and makes minor adjustments to work methods to solve routine problems and improve efficiencies and effectiveness. This position also highlights areas of concern and provides recommendations to the supervisor for solution.
Purdue University offers a substantial benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as a generous paid time off package for sick and vacation days.
- High school diploma / GED
- Three (3) years of relevant experience in a warehouse type environment, shipping and receiving, and mail room processes
- Experience maintaining inventory control for supplies
- Familiarity with computers, email, tracking devices, and Microsoft Office products
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills to provide quality customer service, dealing tactfully with people in a problem-solving situation
- Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, and graduate students to help them understand policies as it relates to return procedures, and custom inspection
- Self-directed with the ability to work as an independently as well as with a team
- General computer and related software skills including spreadsheet, database and internet.
- Time management and problem solving skills
- Ability to lift and carry 50 to 80 pounds frequently and up to 100 pounds occasionally
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines. To learn more, visit https://bit.ly/3DH3z6f
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A background check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Non-exempt Defined Contribution Plan
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply